Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Emryss Lucille Wynn's Birth Story

So I started having contractions around Midnight on October 6th....Now I had a C-Section with Izzy so I never really felt any contractions before so when they started they just felt like cramps so I didn't think anything of it...Well after tossing and turning and not getting any sleep for 6 hours I got up to use the bathroom and I lost my mucous plug...I called my Midwife and she said to go on up to the hospital and get checked....So i woke Adam up and we woke Izzy up and headed up to the hospital.

Once we got up to the hospital the nurse put the monitors on me and I was having contractions every 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. The nurse then checked me and I was at a 4 so she called my midwife and they decided to check me in...It didn't hit me till I was walking from the exam room to an actual delivery room that I was going to have a baby that day...:)

I really wanted to try to do an all natural birth with no epidural so since my water hadn't broke yet I had the option of getting into the jacuzzi and I was able to relax in there for a couple of hours..they checked me again and I was at a 5 so they broke my water at about 2 pm and then my contractions started to get stronger but not unbearable yet...I got a shot of Nubain to help me rest since I was already exhausted from not getting any sleep..that helped a little and I was able to rest for a couple of hours..they then checked me again at 4 pm and I was at a 7...by this time I was really starting to feel the contractions and they were painful...:( I would try and breath through them but my body would just shake and there wasn't really any breaks between the contractions so after talking with Adam and with my Midwife I decided to get an epidural.

The lady got there pretty quick and I got all hooked up pretty fast but my contractions were coming on so fast that it seemed like it took forever...And it is really hard to hold completely still with a contraction happening at the same time...:( Well I felt some relief right away but I was still feeling everything all down my right side. Everytime a contraction was happening I felt it just on the right side so we called lady down again and she adjusted somethings and gave me something else in the line and I was finally able to sleep for about an hour.

At 6 pm they checked me again and it was time for me to push...So I started pushing and pushing and pushing....by about 6:45 I started to fell pain and pressure...My epidural had worn off already..
Wonderful..but i kept on pushing...Adam was great at feeding me ice chips and putting the oxygen on me after every contraction/pushing....he did wonderful. At about 7:15 my midwife called in Dr. Lovell because she realized the baby's position was posterior...no wonder my back and legs hurt so bad...Dr. Lovell was going to try and turn her but when he reached in he said she was so far down the birth canal that he couldn't turn her so he decided to try the vacumn.

After pushing with the vacumn for 15 minutes and thinking I couldn't do it any longer little Emryss came into this world...She was a little blue so Adam wasn't able to cut the umbilical cord like he had wanted..They laid her on my chest for a second and then rushed her into the NICU...She had come out blue, she was grunting and they were worried she had inhaled some fluid and she had a fever of 100.2. So Adam went with Emryss while I got all cleaned up. After about an hour they brought her back and I was able to hold her...SHe was beautiful...Adam's mom and my mom and dad were there waiting and they were able to come in and hold her for a few minutes until they had to take her back to the NICU for observation.

Well she didn't have to stay in there much longer..Her fever came down and she was breathing much better so once we moved from labor and delivery over to the mother baby unit we got to keep her all night...:)

Izzy met her the next day and has loved her ever since...she constantly is giving her kisses and wanting to hold her...it is very sweet.

I am doing amazing...I am so happy I didn't have to have another C-Section and that I was able to experience child birth the way it is supposed to happen.

Now I am just enjoying staying at home with my Girls and taking everyday in because Emryss is changing every day and I know before I know it she will be Izzy's age...:)

2 comments:

Paxton said...

I'm so glad you were able to have the birth that you wanted. Congratulations on another beautiful little girl!

Jaime said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful!